Saturday, July 12, 2014

Summer Reading 2014: Let's Do This!

I have a stack of books that I have been collecting for the past two years with the best of intentions... but they sit unread on my bedside table, collecting dust. When I actually have time to read, my book club read of the month always seems to take priority. So this summer I'm setting a goal for myself, and I hope that by blogging about it I'll be more accountable...one book a week for the remainder of the summer! Here's what I'm hoping to read and put into practice in my JK and SK programs next school year!
In 2014-2015, I will be teaching separate JK and SK programs for the first time due to large numbers. I have loved my multi-age JK/SK program that I have developed and implemented for the last four years, but I think having smaller class sizes and dedicated four and five-year old programs will give me a chance to to really target specific programs and skills for each age level.

As I read each book, I plan on posting about it on this blog. Here's the links to the books I'm hoping to tackle this summer.

Literacy Beginnings: A Pre-Kindergarten Handbook by Gay Su Pinnell and Irene Fountas

I Love Letters by Jean Feldman and Holly Karapetkova

Boosting Executive Skills in the Classroom: A Practical Guide for Educators by Joyce Cooper-Kahn and Margaret Foster

Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents: A Practical Guide to Assessment and Intervention by Peg Dawson and Richard Guare

Innovate! Collective Wisdom from Innovative Schools edited by Sean Tierney

Emergent Curriculum in the Primary Classroom: Interpreting the Reggio Emilia Approach in Schools by Carole Anne Wien (editor)

The Intentional Teacher: Choosing the Best Strategies for Young Children's Learning by Ann S. Epstein

Learning to Write and Loving It! by Miriam P. Trehearne 

The Fearless Classroom: A Practical Guide to Experiential Learning Environments by Joli Barker (a friend of mine and fellow Microsoft Expert Educator!)

Teacherpreneurs: Innovative Teachers Who Lead But Don't Leave by Alan Wieder, Ann Byrd, Barnett Berry

I need to re-read this one as well...so much excellent information that really validated by own beliefs about developmentally appropriate technology infusion! Connected from the Start: Global Learning in the Primary Grades by Kathy Cassidy

Any great books that you'd recommend? Have you read any of these? I'd welcome your comments and suggestions! Look for a post next week on Literacy Beginnings by Fountas and Pinnell!









No comments:

Post a Comment