Monday, September 7, 2015

Day 3, Part 1: Rooftop Meditation, Breakfast of Champions!

Day 3 has dawned at yoga teacher training, and I've just returned from a morning meditation session on the rooftop terrace. This isn't an official activity led by our teacher; instead we are encouraged to meditate on our own prior to our first asana (physical postures) class of the day. Being a complete novice at meditation, I was really grateful when my new friend A from Australia asked me if I'd like to join her on the roof for her morning ritual.

It was still dark when we walked up to the roof, and we began by doing square breathing (breathe in for a count of 3, hold for 3, breathe out for 3). After each round of breathing, we took turns naming something that we were grateful for. Things as simple as the beautiful cool morning on the rooftop to bigger things such as gratitude for the amazing opportunity unfolding before us--yoga teacher training!

After our square breathing and expressing gratitude, A led me through a guided relaxation/meditation activity. We laid on loungers, and her voice guided us through relaxing every part of our bodies, from our toes up, and envisioning a bright light sweeping over us, bringing peace and relaxation. A is trained in crystal sound therapy, and following our meditation, she played her crystal singing bowl. She has many bowls at home in Australia, but was only able to bring one with her. This one looks like a wide, medium-sized vase with a 6-inch diameter. It's made from crushed quartz and glazed with crushed aquamarine. It's very beautiful and gives off the most lovely sound that resonates all around you. She uses a mallot to play it.


Next we selected an oracle card from her deck. These are not to be confused with tarot cards--instead they encourage reflection rather than predicting the future. The card I chose was so relevant that it gave me goosebumps. This concluded our morning on the rooftop, and it was a wonderful way to start my day. I'm so grateful that A included me and I can tell that she is going to be a wonderful yoga teacher who already brings so much to her practice.

We returned to my second-level apartment for breakfast with L and Belgian A. As we ate breakfast together and chatted, each of them selected an oracle card for the day and we reflected on the meaning. Breakfast was delicious as always--Greek yogurt, fresh honey, fruit, and fresh whole wheat bread.

My friend L has recommended Beau Taplin, an Australian author. He has beautiful passages and quotations on Instagram. Follow him @beautaplin. 


 New people, things, and practices I've learned about:

Amma, the Hugging Saint from India

Crystal Sound Healing

David Sye Yoga: Chocolate Meditation

No comments:

Post a Comment